Panna Cotta is a simple yet delicious Italian dessert, the base is made with just 4 ingredients and you can add in any kind of flavoring you want to it. It is a creamy and light dessert, so it pairs well with any kind of topping you choose; fresh fruit, chocolate ganache, crumbled cookies, caramel sauce, in mine I used cubed mango and blueberries. Even though the name sounds fancy it is very easy to make; all you do is heat up some cream and sugar, then add in your dissolved gelatin, stir and you’re done! The most difficult part is waiting for it to set in the fridge:)
Yield 8 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 2 1/4 tsp Powdered Gelatin
- 2 tbsp Cold Water
- 1/2 Vanilla Pod (or 1 tsp Vanilla Paste or 2 tsp Vanilla Extract)
- 1/3 cup (67g) White Sugar
- 2 1/2 cups (550g) Heavy Cream
- 3/4 cup (160g) Whole Milk
Optional for Garnish: fresh herbs, fruit, chocolate, caramel citrus zest, etc.
Tools: small saucepan, whisk, small bowl, 8 dessert glasses, ladle
- In a small bowl combine the gelatin and cold water, stir and set aside.
- With a small knife split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds with the back of your knife, add both the seeds and the pod to a small saucepan. Add the sugar, cream and milk. Place on high heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. If you are using vanilla paste or extract skip to step 3 after your sugar, cream and milk simmers.
- Once it simmers add in your gelatin, whisk until completely dissolved (if you are using a vanilla pod, remove it from the mixture now). Divide your mixture into 8 dessert glasses (you will get about 1/2 cup -120g per glass). Allow for them to cool for about 15 minutes, then cover with clingfilm and chill for at least 6 hours to set. They can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Garnish with caramel, chocolate, fresh fruit, herbs or whatever you think will go well on top 🙂
You can flavor this with 1/2 tsp of peppermint, almond or any other extract as well. You can put a teaspoon of instant espresso inside when adding the gelatin. You can also add fresh fruit to your glasses before pouring in your Panna Cotta mixture. Have fun and experiment with flavor combinations, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask me:)
Serving Size 1/2 cup (about 120g)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 26 g
Saturated Fat 16 g
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 35 mg
Total Carbohydrates 11 g
Sugars 11 g
Protein 2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.