Savoiardi are basic Italian cookies made with just four ingredients – flour, sugar, eggs and salt. They have a spongy light texture and are perfect for cakes and trifles, or even to dip in your espresso. The most famous dessert they are used in is Tiramisu, and in my next post I will show you how to make a Tiramisu ice cream cake with them. If you want to flavor them you can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract or the zest of a lemon to the batter.
Italian Savoiardi Cookies
Yield 55-60 Cookies
- 4 large Eggs (200g out of shell) at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (135g) white Sugar
- 1/4 tsp coarse Salt (a pinch of fine salt or 1/8 tsp)
- 3/4 cup (100g) all purpose Flour
Tools: Electric hand mixer, baking tray, large bowl, medium bowl, silicon spatula, sieve, piping bag
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC) with the fan/ventilator on, or 400ºF/200ºC without the fan/ventilator. Line a baking tray with parchment paper. Have extra parchment ready to pipe more cookies.
- Separate your yolks from the whites; yolks in a large bowl, whites in a medium bowl.
- Start beating your egg whites on a medium speed, when they start to turn into a white foam, gradually add 1/2 of the amount of sugar in the recipe (the other part will be added to the yolks). Beat egg whites on high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Without cleaning your whisks, switch to the bowl with the egg yolks, add the remaining sugar and salt; beat on high until very pale and thick (they will not get as thick as the egg whites).
- Sift in half of your flour and add half of your beaten egg whites to the yolks, fold in with a silicon spatula, just until you only see a few streaks of egg whites. Sift in the remaining amount of flour and add the rest of the egg whites, fold just until you don’t see anymore traces of flour.
- Fit your piping bag into a large jar or vase, fill it with the batter. Pipe little fingers on the tray (about 2-3inches in length), leaving about half an inch of spacing. If you cant fit all of the batter on one tray, pipe the rest on a separate piece of parchment that you will bake after.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes or just until puffed up and golden, remove immediately from tray with parchment, and bake off the other cookies as well.
- Cool cookies completely, then peel them off of the paper. Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in freezer for up to 2 months.
Serving Size 1 cookie (about 6 grams)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 0.4 g
Saturated Fat 0.1 g
Cholesterol 15 mg
Sodium 54 mg
Total Carbohydrates 4 g
Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
Sugars 3 g
Protein 0.7 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.