This is quick and easy one pan meal, it’s really flavorful without the need for a bunch of spices. You get a good balance of protein, veggies and fat. This goes great with a side of plain rice or mashed potatoes. I like to keep this dairy-free by using full-fat coconut milk, but you can use heavy cream if you prefer.
Coconut Lime Chicken & Vegetables
Yield 6 servings
- 3-4 boneless skinless Chicken Breast halves (700g / 1.5lbs)
- 1 small head of Broccoli, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups Baby Carrots
- 3 small Red Onions, medium slices (about 2 cups)
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Turmeric
- 1 2/3 cups (400ml) Chicken/Vegetable Stock (or 2 bouillon cubes mixed with 400ml hot water)
- 1/2 cup (120ml) canned Coconut Milk (regular or light works)
- 1 Lime, juiced
Tools: large deep skillet, cutting board, large knife, tongs, large mixing spoon, several medium bowls for prepping
- Heat a large deep skillet on medium-high heat. Slice the chicken breasts in half horizontally (to make them thinner), season both sides of each filet with salt (I also like to add some crushed chili flakes). Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil to your heated pan, then line up your chicken breasts inside the pan, cooking them for 5-6 minutes per side just to get them slightly browned, you don’t need to cook them thoroughly. Remove the chicken breasts on a plate.
- In the same pan you cooked the chicken, add in the onions and carrots. cook for 6-8 minutes or until the veggies brown a bit and the onions soften. Stir occasionally.
- Add in the salt, turmeric, broccoli, vegetable stock, coconut milk, and lime juice; mix thoroughly. Nestle in the chicken breast pieces to get them as submerged as possible in the sauce. Lower the heat to medium, cover with a lid and let this simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve hot with rice or mashed potatoes. You can stop this in an airtight container for up to 3 days, reheat on stove or in the oven.
Courses Lunch & Dinner
Serving Size 1 serving (about 350g)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10.4 g
Saturated Fat 6.4 g
Unsaturated Fat 0.9 g
Cholesterol 86 mg
Sodium 674 mg
Total Carbohydrates 16.3 g
Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 30.5 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.