This cake is full of strawberry flavor, for the batter and frosting I used a reduced strawberry puree (recipe for it is in the notes), this will give your cake a strong strawberry flavor and your frosting will be a natural pink color, no artificial flavorings or dyes. This is great to make in the springtime when strawberries are just beginning to come in season, but I often use frozen strawberries for this and it turns out great.
Strawberry Loaf Cake
Yield 16 slices
For the Cake:
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (145g) Butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup (100g) White Sugar
- 3 large Eggs (150g out of shell) at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp Coarse Salt (1/4 tsp fine salt)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 cups (165g) Cooked Strawberry Puree (see notes for instructions on how to make it)
- 1 3/4 cups (230g) all purpose Flour
- 3/4 tsp Baking Powder
For the Frosting:
- 1/4 cup (57g) Butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 tsp Coarse Salt (pinch of fine salt)
- 1 1/2 cups (200g) Powdered Sugar
- 3 tbsp (45g) Cooked Strawberry Puree (see notes for instructions on how to make it)
- Optional: melted white chocolate and chopped pistachios to decorate
Tools: large bowl, electric blender with whisk attachment, loaf pan 9 x 5 inch, silicon spatula, palette knife, medium bowl
For the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC) without the fan/ventilator switched on. Butter a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and sugar, whisk until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking in between until smooth. Add the salt, vanilla, and strawberry puree, whisk until completely combined. Sift in half of the flour and all of the baking powder, gently whisk until the dry ingredients are completely combined, sift in the remaining flour and again whisk just until there are no more pockets of flour.
- Spread the batter evenly into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow for it to cool completely in the pan.
For the Frosting:
- Once your cake has cooled down completely start making the frosting.
- In a medium bowl combine the butter, salt, powdered sugar, and strawberry puree. Mix with electric blender until completely smooth, it should be a thick spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting all over the top and sides of the cooled cake (have your cake on your serving platter or cake stand. Drizzle with melted white chocolate and pistachios.
- I like to let it sit for 2 hours before slicing, the texture and taste gets better with time. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
For the Strawberry Puree:
- Add 1 lb / 450g fresh/frozen strawberries (without the stems) to a medium pot, add 1/3 cup (67g) white sugar.
- Place on the stove on high heat, bring to a boil, once it boils, puree with an immersion blender, food processor or regular blender until smooth. Return the puree back to the saucepan and let it simmer on low for 30 minutes or until it has reduced by half and thickened. Stir regularly to avoid burning the bottom of the pan.
- Pour it into a bowl and allow it to cool completely before using. This recipe makes slightly more than you need.
Serving Size 1 slice (about 70g)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 11.3 g
Saturated Fat 6.8 g
Unsaturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 125 mg
Total Carbohydrates 33 g
Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
Sugars 21.2 g
Protein 2.9 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.