These cookies are keto, gluten-free and low carb. To give them a similar flavor profile of traditional chocolate chip cookies we brown the butter, it sounds complicated, but all you really do is simmer the butter until it turns a dark golden brown color and has a toasty hazelnut aroma. To get a gooey cookie texture, it is really important to under-bake these as well, they should look set on the edges and almost raw in the middle. I hope you enjoy this recipe:)
Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield 26 cookies
- 1 cup (230g) unsalted Butter
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated Erythritol
- 2 large Eggs (100g out of shell)
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup (47g) Sesame Seed Flour, toasted if you can get it
- 2 cups (200g) fine Almond Flour
- 3/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Coarse Salt (3/4 tsp fine salt)
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 150g / 5.3oz Dark Chocolate (I use at least 80%), chopped into bits
Tools: large bowl, small bowl, whisk, silicon spatula, baking tray, small saucepan
- Melt the butter on medium-high heat in a small deep saucepan, let it simmer until the foam on top gets brown and it starts smelling like toasted hazelnuts. Set the saucepan aside to cool for 15 minutes. (In the end some of the water will have evaporated and you will end up with around 180g-185g, that is the amount you need).
- When the butter has cooled down a bit, but is still warm, pour it into a large bowl and add the erythritol, whisk until it has dissolved. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, whisk well.
- In a small bowl mix together the sesame flour, almond flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking soda. Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet and fold until combined. Add in the remaining dry ingredients and the chopped chocolate, mix thoroughly, cover the bowl and chill for at least 4 hours.
- Once your dough has chilled for at least 4 hours, divide into 26 balls about (30g-31g each), flatten them slightly. Store the raw cookie balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To Bake: Preheat oven to 375ºF / 190ºC without the fan/ventilator switched on. Bake the cookies on a parchment lined baking tray for 8-9 minutes or until the edges are light brown, but the center still looks a bit under-baked. Remove the tray from the oven and allow for the cookies to cool on the tray for 10 minutes. Remove and enjoy 🙂 You can store the baked cookies in a container at room temperature for up to 3 days, but it is best to just bake them fresh as you want them.
Serving Size 1 cookie (about 31g)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 13.3 g
Saturated Fat 5.3 g
Unsaturated Fat 2.4 g
Cholesterol 29.2 mg
Sodium 141.6 mg
Total Carbohydrates 2.9 g
Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
Sugars 1.2 g
Protein 3.3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.