These cookies are staple breakfast or afternoon snack in Bulgaria, usually eaten with a bowl of yogurt, milk, or Airan (Bulgarian Kefir). They are not super sweet and have a lovely fresh flavor from the citrus zest. They have a kind of cake-scone-cookie texture with a lovely crust. My favorite way to enjoy them is hot out of the oven with a cup of coffee.
Bulgarian Cookies "Kurabiiki"
Yield 18 cookies
- 3/4 cup (180g) plain Yogurt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 3 large Eggs (150g out of shell), plus one egg for egg wash
- 3/4 cup (150g) white Sugar, plus extra for sprinkling tops
- 1/8 tsp (pinch) ground Cinnamon
- Zest of 1/2 Lemon (I used a lime)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Coarse Salt (1/4 tsp fine salt)
- 1/4 cup (60g) melted Butter
- 4 cups (520g) all purpose Flour
- To Sprinkle: sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sanding sugar, nuts, etc.
Tools: large bowl, small bowl, whisk, silicon spatula, baking tray, large cookie scoop
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF (190ºC) and line a baking tray with parchment.
- In a small bowl combine your yogurt and baking soda (it will start to foam a bit). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Add in cinnamon, lemon zest, vanilla and salt; whisk in until smooth. Add in yogurt mixture and melted butter, whisk until smooth. Add in all of the flour, fold with a silicon spatula until you have a smooth, soft dough. Take a large cookie scoop and scoop your cookies on to your prepared tray, you should be able to fit them all on one tray, they don’t need a lot of space.
- Bake them for 15 - 20 minutes or until they are golden brown all over. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on tray then remove. Store in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.
Courses Dessert, Breakfast & Brunch
Serving Size 1 cookie
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 4.4 g
Saturated Fat 2.1 g
Unsaturated Fat 1.6 g
Cholesterol 38.2 mg
Sodium 188.5 mg
Total Carbohydrates 30 g
Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 4.4 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.